Monday, October 18, 2010

The Teething Baby Part 1 - Amber Teething Necklace

So, my kid doesn't sleep and it's taken many bleary eyed, middle of the night google searches to come up with the conclusion that his restlessness is all related to his teething.  He's drooling, chewing, cranky, restless, and doesn't want to eat (which is a whole other blog post).  So, what do I do?   Aside from just getting used to waking up every two hours through the night, and the occasional acetaminophen when he really seems to be in pain, I've resorted to two more natural options that seem questionable in their effectiveness, but if they work, fantastic!

First up is the Amber Teething Necklace.

Wearing an amber teething necklace is a traditional European remedy for teething symptoms.  The story goes that the Baltic Amber that the beads are made of, contains succinic acid that is released when the amber warmed is by the child's skin.  Succinic acid, it is said, contains healing properties that acts as an anti-inflamatory and provides pain relief. It is helps to calm a restless baby.  Necklaces are said to be effective enough that they are made in adult sizes to help combat a variety of your own aches and pains.

I purchased my boy's necklace from Marianne, at Bush Babies Baby Boutique in North Bay, when I was putting in an order, and couldn't help but keep adding to it (see my future post about Sweet Pea cloth diapers).  Marianne chose a beautiful cognac coloured necklace (see picture above) for my little boy when I was having trouble deciding which one I liked best.  It looks great on him (see left), and I get lots of compliments, even though most people think it's just an accessory.

Does it work?  I can't be 100% certain since the babe hasn't told me just how it feels to wear the necklace, and even though my baby is still restless at night (I don't have him wearing it then), he is perfectly happy during the day.  He most definitely drools less when he is wearing the necklace, and his first two teeth came in with little pomp and circumstance.  

The bottom line?   Considering that it does seem to have some effect, and is super cute, I recommend giving it a try!

New Mama thinks...

No comments:

Post a Comment